Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kathy H. Leads

1.    Descriptive       
       It’s a warm day at the lake. Maybe you’re snoozing on a beach towel or lounging in a chair. Relaxation is the number one priority on your list. All of a sudden a strange buzzing sound fills the air and the smell of gasoline wafts past you. A group of rambunctious people zoom past on their jet skis, disturbing the water and the peace. As this form of personal watercraft is becoming more popular, the issue of environmental and noise pollution is becoming more prevalent.

2.     Startling Statement
        Jet Skis are involved in 35 percent of all accidents with water vessels, and the number of accidents and fatalities due to Jet Ski use has been increasing each year since 1987.

3.    Compare and Contrast       

       Since 1987, the number of people using Jet Skis has grown from about 93,000 people to over 1 million today, and consequently, the number of personal watercraft accidents has multiplied over five times the original amount.

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I prefer the first lead due to the fact that it seems to pull me in more by using a scene that I wish I was in instead of a "startling fact" that I honestly never really cared that much about. But yeah, the first one's good :)
    -RAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the discrptive. The reason i liked the discriptive one was because when i was reading it, i could see everything you were saying. it made me want to keep reading it.
    -BJG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the first one because it catches my atention more and you can realte it to yourself personaly. CN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first one best. Teh descriptions really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - the first lead is the strongest as it immediately shows the reader how he/she might be affected by this issue. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete